Electric catamarans, tenders, hybrids…Silent-Yachts is now Silent Group
Coming off a record setting year in which they sold 21 of their luxury electric catamarans and expanded their shipyard capacity in three countries, solar pioneer Silent-Yachts is transforming into a multi-division company called Silent Group.
Silent-Yachts founder Michael Köhler said “I’m immensely proud of what SILENT-YACHTS has achieved since our first research into solar yachts in 2004. The company has evolved and expanded and as last year’s sales show, we continue to grow and are now a truly international Group with diverse interests requiring more extensive resources and production space.”
Electric catamarans under construction in 3 countries
In November of 2020 Plugboats wrote about two new and expanded shipyards for the company, in Thailand and Italy. A 20,800 m² (225,000 sg ft) facility in Rayong is led by Swiss entrepreneur Philippe Guénat and is the largest privately-owned shipyard in South East Asia. In Fano, Italy, they added a second production line to a facility that has 22,000 m² (235,000 sq ft) of covered space and about the same amount outside.
The third space, in Turkey, is the result of a new arrangement with VisionF Yachts and the Tuzla Viaport Marina which provides access to over 1 million square feet – 100,000 m² of production area. Between the facilities there are 17 yachts currently in build: eight of the SILENT 60 series, six SILENT 80s, the first SILENT 120 and two SILENT VisionF 82s – more about the F82s in a minute.
Silent Groups six divisions
The new Silent Group has six divisions: Yachts, Tenders, Charter, Management, Brokerage, Shop and Resorts.
- SILENT-YACHTS will continue to focus on the award winning fully electric solar-powered catamarans the company is famous for. A new sub-division will also build hybrid yachts that make use of both conventional propulsion and renewable solar energy.
- SILENT-TENDERS will be launching an all-electric 4m (13.5 ft) model (seen in the picture at the top of this article). Additional models will be announced later this year.
- SILENT-CHARTER will dedicate itself to offering the Silent Yacht experience for vacationers, currently with Silent 55 and Silent 60 solar electric catamarans available for charter from the fleet base in Port Adriano, Mallorca
- SILENT-MANAGEMENT offers the full spectrum of management services for clients – everything from things like documentation, flag registration, certification and inspections to crew hiring, maintenance and servicing.
- SILENT-BROKERAGE offers brokerage services for pre-owned vessels for sale.
- SILENT-SHOP is the company’s web-based outlet for electric water toys, smart electricgadgets and the group’s merchandising products.
- SILENT-RESORTS is now a separate division that will develop the solar powered resorts that link the solar panels and battery storage capacity of electric catamarans with land-based vacation facilities.
SILENT VisionF 82 hybrid catamaran
Most of these activities, like the chartering and resorts and shop, have already been operating under the Silent-Yachts banner. Aside from the new corporate structure, the big news is the company getting into new boats beyond electric catamarans.
The Silent Tender and two SILENT VisionF 82s mentioned above are the beginnings of this expansion. Silent Group has a new partnership with Coşkun Bayraktar, of Turkey, founder of the Viaport Group with properties like the 750 boat marina complex in Istanbul that includes an aquarium, water park and outlet mall.
Mr. Bayraktar also owns VisionF Yachts, whose flagship is an aluminum hulled, diesel powered catamaran with 4 cabins and a 45 square meter salon area. The new SILENT VisionF 82 will be similar, but with an extended hardtop flybridge fitted with a large solar array and battery bank to power all household and comfort appliances on board.
Micheal Köhler said the new corporate structure of Silent Group “Enables us to collaborate with other shipyards such as VisionF to assist them in harnessing solar technology as a step towards a more sustainable future.”
There is no word yet on the specifications of the all-electric Silent Tender. As soon as information is available we will let you know.
The next solar electric catamaran to go in the water will be a Silent 60 Front Exit version which is headed to its new owner in the US imminently. The Silent 60 was winner of The Gussies International Electric Boat Awards in 2021. Another of the front exit models is due to be launched in April.