Cruiser/liveaboard sailboat w/NEW hybrid propulsion
Louise is a sloop rigged custom built fiberglass hull with foam core(no rot), 39′ long, launched in Seattle in 1981. Her original builders and owners lived and cruised her up and down the inside passage for 35 years before selling to us. We fitted her out for ocean sailing, and spent 2 years cruising around the Pacific. She is a perfect live aboard. She is full of quirks, and would be a great boat for someone new to boating and cruising, or someone looking for a serious ocean sailing boat at a great price.
Her features include:
– New 18kw Motenergy water cooled AC motor powered by 13kw lithium battery bank and 3 2.5kw chargers.
– Westerbeke 8kw 8btda diesel generator with less than 200 hours
– 2 blade 17″ Max prop – reconditioned in 2019
– Raymarine autopilot with windvane mode that works really well
– B&G Zeus 12″ chartplotter and VHF radio
– 130 gallons of fresh water tankage!
– Large galley with huge stainless steel double sink, new stainless refrigerator, Force 10 – 2 burner range, and separate freezer
– Spade rudder with tiller steering (for more cockpit room) and Jefa bottom bearings
– Shallow drafted – draws 50″ with 3/4 length”Scheel keel” – she can still sail upwind!
– Huge Antarctic Dickinson diesel heater for winter cruising
– 550 watts of solar with Victron charge controllers – when its sunny you never have to run the engine to charge batteries
– 200 ah of Firefly house batteries, they work as well as they did new.
– Propane on-demand water heater in the shower.
– Vacuflush head uses fresh water so no head odor!
– Walk through pilot house/dog house with opposing settees and huge windows let in tons of light. Makes for high ceiling in the galley, and lets you see over the water from inside the boat. (This is the best feature – See pictures)
– Large main and asymmetrical spinnaker gives her serious downwind power.
-25 gallon holding tank in excellent shape with the nicest plumbing we could find (my wife is a super smeller and insisted on this)
– Brand new Whale 3 gal 12v water heater
The new power plant has been in the boat for about six months and so far we love it. There are still a couple bugs to be worked out, but it is exceeding expectations. It has reduced the engine noise in the boat when the generator is running from 80db to less than 70db.
The motor bank charges the house bank, so we can be at anchor for at least a week, running a refrigerator and freezer, without having to charge the batteries. And when it is time to charge, it takes about 2 hours to go from empty to full. This feature allows us to live at anchor comfortably during the winter.
We haven’t figured out exactly what our range is yet with only battery power, it varies depending on speed. It looks to be about 20 miles at about 3.5-4 kts. When the generator is running, you can easily make 5.5kts, which is what the old Yanmar pushed the boat at. The system is easy to use and requires minimal maintenance.
We love the boat for many reasons. She has a bright, dry, and roomy interior. She has great accessibility to its relatively simple systems. And she is easy and fun to sail.
Many other fun and weird features make this boat an eye catcher. We get compliments everywhere we go. And she is ready right now to cruise the San Juan and Gulf Islands for months.
The boat will be available for viewing for the next couple weeks at Elliot Bay marina. Please come see us there.
Email any questions you might have. If you have a lot of questions, especially about the power plant, I’d prefer to set up a call. We’ll look forward to hearing from you.
- Listing ID: 12460
- Price: $US 70,000
- Condition: Previously Owned
- Manufacturer: Custom/Homebuilt
- Year: 1981
- Hull Material: Fibreglass/Composite
- Length: 39'
- Motor Type: Inboard
- Motor Manufacturer: Motenergy water cooled AC motor
- Continuous Power: 18kw
- Motor Technology: PMAC (Permanent Magnet AC)
- Battery Chemistry: Li-ion
- Battery Capacity: 13kw lithium battery bank
- Generator: Westerbeke 8kw 8btda diesel generator with less than 200 hours
- Charger: Yes
- Charger Type/Model: 3 2.5kw chargers.
- Solar Panels: 550 watts of solar with Victron charge controllers - when its sunny you never have to run the engine to charge batteries
- Galley/Kitchen: Yes
- Freshwater Capacity: 130 gallons of fresh water tankage!
- Wastewater Capacity: 25 gallon holding tank in excellent shape with the nicest plumbing we could find (my wife is a super smeller and insisted on this)